Presented at $2,800,000
MLS #: 10097040
Armstrong Point is a rare piece of Shuswap history made up of 56.39 acres of usable land (taken from BC Assessment) with 871.06 feet of lake shore (confirmed by survey). The lighthouse at Armstrong Point is situated on the foreshore at easterly third of the property. Views extend to Copper Island at the south and north towards the area of Cinnemousun Narrows. The property is approximately two kilometers south of Wild Rose Bay.
The original house, a newer cabin, and four outbuildings are situated on the property.
As per the attached zoning, there is a special exemption in the zoning to allow for two residences plus a cabin. This provides an opportunity to build three new residences should you wish.
There are encroachments; contact us for a map and to discuss.
The land is zoned Large Holding and is designated Large Holdings under the Official Community Plan. The land is not sub dividable but two homes and a cabin are allowed per a notation in the Zoning Bylaw particular to this property. This property is not in the ALR. See attached.
The definition of a cabin, as per zoning bylaw 701:
“Cabin means a building with a floor area not exceeding 50 sq meters containing living quarters which is incidental to and located on the same parcel as a single family dwelling, is on an approved sanitary sewage disposal system and does not include recreational vehicles or travel trailers and is occupied on a temporary basis.”
Attached are photos and maps.
-Most of the acreage is treed and sloped, providing great privacy.
-The lower area near the lake has a large cleared area which contains the buildings, has a green space and easy access to the beach.
-A great space for family gatherings, bocci, camping, and relaxing.
-The point itself has a lighthouse on it as it is the outermost point into the lake for some miles, providing huge views up and down this arm of Shuswap Lake.
-Hundreds of feet of beach gives you privacy and allows total relaxation.
-There is a paved road past the top of the property
-some of the locals have cleared walking trails through the property with the permission of the owners for a pleasant hiking experience
How to Get There
From Highway 1 north of Salmon Arm, turn onto Balmoral Road at Balmoral Store.
Armstrong Point is 26 km from Balmoral Store.
Balmoral Rd becomes Eagle Bay Road.
Follow that along the lakeshore past Eagle Bay Camp.
Watch for sign at the top of Armstrong Road on the left.
HISTORY OF ARMSTRONG POINT
A brief narrative by a relative, Jim Riner:
Having grown up in nearby Canoe in the early 1900’s, Frederick Louis Armstrong, better known as Louie, knew that he wanted to own property on the expansive Shuswap Lake. Having homesteaded and then cleared parts of this land with his brother Edward, he began to build his home. The difficulty in this effort was that in the mid-1930’s Eagle Bay Road still did not extend to the Armstrong property, so all materials were brought in by boat and barge every few weeks. The house he was building was far more aggressive than any built in the area to date. It was two story with the bathroom and flush toilet upstairs, running water on both levels, an expansive kitchen with a large dining area and far ahead of its time he had his own electrical power plant driven by a small four cylinder car engine. The view from his home looks to the Cinnemousun Narrows and is unsurpassed.
While building his home, Louie made several concessions to the lady that would become his wife in 1945. Rose had a back injury that kept her from any kind of bending, so in the kitchen the sink counters were all built higher then the standard 36 inches. She knew that Louie’s cast iron skillets would mark up a porcelain sink, so she had him install a more expensive stainless steel sink. Most importantly, she told Louie that she would not be bathing in the lake like the men, so he installed a full size, luxury deep, claw foot bathtub in the upstairs bathroom.
Louie’s property extended from Wild Rose Bay to an area just past Bradshaw Road. Over the years he would sell pieces of his land to special people that were friends of his. Parcels that bound his land belong to the Marshalls, the Wylies, the Young Family and to Roy & Clara Emerson who were Louie’s first neighbors so very long ago.
Louie had a strong sense of community and was one of the persons who in the autumn of 1946 helped to found and build the Eagle Bay Church. In January of 1960, Louie and Rose continued their work in religion by assuming the loan that built the Salmon Arm Church of Christ in Salmon Arm. Beginning in the 1940’s he lobbied the B.C. Power Commission, through the Rural Electrification Committee in Vernon to extend electrical service to what was then very rough forested areas beyond Eagle Bay. In the late 1960’s power finally came through to Wild Rose Bay, a long personal victory for Louie.
The name of Armstrong Point first legally appeared on a map of the Shuswap Lake published by the Canadian Hydrographic Service in a 1973 edition. This made Louie and Rose so proud that they mounted a copy of the map on the wall in his den.
In February, 1985 Frederick Louis Armstrong passed away in Salmon Arm at the great old age of 90 years. Rose passed away in October, 1987. Their ashes are interred at The Eagle Bay Church, just a few miles from their home of almost half a century.
56.39 from BC Assessment
$12707 for 2014
Fractional SE 1/4 of Sec 13, Twp 23, Range 9, West of the 6th Meridian, KDYD